Bilderberg.org Forum Index Bilderberg.org
the view from the top of the pyramid of power

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RFID tech turned into spy chips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bilderberg.org Forum Index -> Global Totalitarian Superstate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauchenauermartin
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: RFID tech turned into spy chips Reply with quote

Thanks to "vicflame"!!!

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=13&articleId=9070358&intsrc=hm_topic

RFID tech turned into spy chips for clandestine surveillance
Nox Defense creates chips (and even RFID Dust) for tracking property and people
By Sharon Gaudin

March 20, 2008 (Computerworld) An employee looking to steal confidential information from his employer sneaks into what should be a secure back room after hours. He pulls charts and files from a top-level financial meeting and slides them into his briefcase before heading back out.

What the insider doesn't know is that his shoes picked up hundreds of tiny radio frequency identification (RFID) chips that had been scattered across the floor. As he passes by an RFID reader near the front door of his office building, security will be alerted that he had accessed a secure area. The evidence is all over the soles of his shoes.

Sound a little like a scene from a James Bond movie? It's not.

Nox Defense, an arm of SimplyRFID Inc., said it has created an invisible perimeter-defense system designed to track things and people in real time -- all without their knowledge. The system that is made up of several technological pieces -- RFID chips the size of grains of sand and an RFID and video camera surveillance system.

"The key to an effective surveillance system is intelligence in the equipment itself," said Carl Brown, president of Nox Defense. "It does no good to install a thousand video cameras if a thousand people have to watch them all day. ... Everybody is doing surveillance nowadays everywhere. They just don't have a setup that tells them what is important video to look at. RFID technology will tell you when something was moved, where it was moved, and then you can check the corresponding video."

Brown explained that the RFID chips, or spy chips, are perfect for what he calls clandestine surveillance. The RFID readers can be hidden in an office building or warehouse, and the RFID tags can be placed on company products or property -- even on employee name tags or ID badges. Thieves, intruders and even personnel see nothing of the tracking system.

If an employee in the warehouse walks off with a plasma TV or loads seven instead of five computers into the delivery truck, it can be tracked with the RFID technology. And since the RFID chips will tell security what time the equipment was moved, the company can check the digital video archives for that time and that section of the warehouse.

The Nox RFID readers and the digital video cameras are all tied into software that tracks the data feeds and allows security to quickly call up, for instance, all the video shot that day of a particular employee or of the video taken of the area where certain products are stored, explained Brown. The software creates data files of the RFID and video data.

"RFID is perfect for that because it's very inexpensive," said Brown. "RFID tags right now are under 20 cents a tag for passive tags. The technology is cheap enough that you can tag lots and lots of items for a fairly low cost. If you tried to watch every person, you couldn't. But with RFID, you can keep an eye on every single item as it moves through the building -- where it went, when it went there and who was moving it. We've got the tag, we know where it is, and there's the video of the person doing it."

The RFID Dust that Nox Defense also sells is actually made up of tiny RFID chips -- each about the size of a grain of sand, according to Brown. They can be scattered on a floor, so when someone walks through a room, entryway or warehouse, the tags will stick to their shoes or pants cuffs. When they walk past an RFID reader, it will be able to tell where they've been.

the government] in a drug lord's house in Columbia. You sprinkle it on the floor boards. It gets on their shoes. When they come through customs, there could be RFID readers on the floor mats. It would show that you had been in this drug lord's house. With this, you can figure out which place they visited and what RFID dust stuck to their shoes. It creates data points for you to make decisions. "

Brown also said that someone from airport security could drop a tiny RFID tag into someone's bag or attach it to the bag. "I can't carry around something really obvious to mark the bag, but I can drop a tiny tag into the bag and then we'll be able to see where it goes," he added. "If I'm a CIA guy operating in Columbia, and I put a tag in a bag and it ends up in New York, that information might be useful to me."

He noted that the FBI is one of his company's dozen or so customers. The FBI did not return calls to comment on whether or not it is using the technology or how it might be using it.

When asked about privacy issues or someone using the surveillance technology for malicious intent, Brown said that isn't a concern.

"We're all pretty trackable to begin with. Anyone who has a cell phone can be tracked. If you have a cell, you're giving off a signal at all times," he added. "The thing about it is if you're living a clean life, there's nothing this stuff is really going to do to you. If you're not doing anything illegal, this isn't going to catch you. Is RFID going to catch you stealing? Absolutely it will."

---------------------
Comments:

Can't wait...
Submitted by Exodus on March 21, 2008 - 06:44.
...until they start using this on humans.
Rate this Rated +23 23 Votes
---
RFID Dangers
Submitted by Anonymous on March 21, 2008 - 07:37.
Comments such as, "If you're not doing anything illegal, this isn't going to catch you" are terrifying. All it takes is the stroke of a pen and ANY activity can be declared illegal either by a legislative body or megamanical chief executive. Moreover, this is technology that by its very nature invites illegal use. While it sounds great to be able to track Columbian drug lords, it would be equally easy to track ideological dissidents (say, for example, activists who are working against the current Red Chinese crackdown on Tibet).
Rate this Rated +13 13 Votes
---------------
Just how would this tracking be used?
Submitted by Anonymous on March 21, 2008 - 09:09.
Just how and who would use the tracking information. You mentioned the FBI. I recall someone there, J E Hoover for one had questionable use of survellance. Do we want a tracking database being built and used for as yet unknown profilling.
Rated +4 6 Votes Dissidents
------------
Submitted by Megalomaniac on March 21, 2008 - 09:15.
I agree, Anonymous. It's not true that "if you aren't doing anything illegal, this isn't going to catch you". History has shown us time and again that all you have to do is be on the wrong side of a political argument, or a social misfit, and the powers that be can target you for anything.
But this system has to be carefully thought out and installed with a design in mind. Even if you were a social dissident, what would you be doing that could be caught up in the system? It's a protection system for assets, or a tracking system for people, but it's not omniscient. It still needs a plan and a design. It's like a hammer. You can use it to build a house, or you can use it to bash somebody over the head with it. That doesn't make the hammer evil.
Rate this Rated +1 1 Vote
-----------
RFID dangers
Submitted by Mike on March 21, 2008 - 12:42.
Agreed 10,000%! Add to that the fact that those whose motives are nefarious are now aware of the technology and will develop countermeasures to defeat it. RFID is NOT the panacea we are being led to believe. Degausser, anyone?
Rate this Rated 0 0 Votes
-----------
RFID dangers
Submitted by Logan 5 Scott on March 21, 2008 - 13:27.
Agreed 10,000%! Add to that the fact that those whose motives are nefarious are now aware of the technology and will develop countermeasures to defeat it. RFID is NOT the panacea we are being led to believe. Degausser, anyone?
Mike:
I can appreciate your concern about privacy and safety, but people like me just invent the technology, we don't govern what people do with it.
RFID has so much more potential than just what is currently out there. Imagaine being able to locate a kidnapped child within minutes of the kidnapping, not days?
What about being able to push your entire cart of groceries through an RFID reader at Wal-Mart and have it automatically charge your credit card as you simply go right out to your car with yoru groceries?
Or, how about an RFID chip that can tell you when your milk gets down to a preset amount to tell you that you are almost out of milk? Or that it is past the exiration date?
Unfortunately, ANY technology can be used for nefarious purposes. The phone was probably one of the best inventions for communications, but the FBI can tap your calls. Medicine that heals the sick also produced the chemical compound sodium thiopental, which is used as truth serum.
Just my opinion....
:L5S
Rate this Rated 0 0 Votes
-------------
Use in tracking humans
Submitted by Anonymous on March 25, 2008 - 16:07.
is already underway, prompting three states so far (Wisconsin, North Dakota and California) to propose legislation banning it, at least as an employment requirement. Google "RFID chips human implant legislation" for a slew of information. Some slopes are more slippery than others, and given that there are very real health issues that remain to be addressed (the trend to micro-chipping pets is turning up some worrisome information), it would be prudent for the feds to impose a moratorium on all human implants until the data is definitive. Personally, I DEFINITELY don't want a chip in my body that can be read through 20 feet of concrete.
(And don't even get me started on how a "dissident" would be defined in our own country; I'm far more afraid of my own government than any other entity on this planet, bar none. BAR NONE.)
Rated +2 2 Votes
------------
RFID Privacy vs Security
Submitted by Neeraj Nigam on March 21, 2008 - 09:14.
Brown's statement that privacy is not a concern is rubbish. If the British had this technology at the time of the Boston Tea Party, where would America be today. We would not even have had an America. We would still be British Subjects, sending our wealth to them. I see no problem with companies using it on their own premises to protect their own assets, but government use in public or private non-governmental places should be with court order for specific named purpose only.
Rated +2 2 Votes
----
RFID dust problems
Submitted by Anonymous on March 21, 2008 - 09:38.
I STRONGLY disagree with the comment made by Mr. Brown that "if you're living a clean life this stuff won't do anything to you".
Excuse me but if the RFID chips are in the form of "dust" then they can also be spread around quite widely and be picked up by people who have no association whatever with the original source! In that case innocent people will be branded and possibly arrested.
Imagine a drug dealer, whose shoes are covered with this "dust" leaving a trail wherever he walks - like the airport or the airplane you're in for example. Then you inadvertently step on this, pick up some "dust" and the next thing you know you're being held by security for having this on your shoes!
I think there are many problems that need to be addressed before this can be reliably used by security personnel.
------------
Once this stuff becomes
Submitted by Anonymous on March 21, 2008 - 10:21.
Once this stuff becomes available, I think we should all buy a bag and spread it all over the world so that no one can be singled out. They can't follow everyone on the face of the Earth. Just think, if even the head of the CIA can't clean it from all of his clothing because it is omnipresent, he too can be followed and all CIA agents would be in the same boat.
reply | report this comment
---
I think it's superb technology.
Submitted by Anonymous on March 21, 2008 - 10:42.
I see no issues relating to privacy specifically in regard to these RFID chips. The ability to track someone has always existed, it just gets more tech easy with each new technology. Personally, I think this is really cool. I actually see the potential for the average joe to make use of this. The small shop owner that has been robbed repeatedly, just sprinkles some inside his store at night.
---------
RFID chips as spies
Submitted by Logan 5 Scott on March 21, 2008 - 13:11.
I certainly applaud the guys at Nox for implementing FRID rice, as it were.
However, I can see certain limitations which I'm sure they have already thought of.
Specifically, if the person breaking in is well disguised, i.e. wearing a mask and perhaps medical paper shoes over his own shoes, and rubber gloves. Then certainly this can alert security, and they could rush to the area nd capture him, but the article mentioned utilizing the rice to allow security to go back and review the tapes, after the incident takes place.
Being disguised as I've noted would make it almost impossible to prove this in court.
What about the cleaning crew? If your office is cleaned on a routine basis by an outside cleaning crew, wouldn't they necessarily vaccum up the rice??
Or are you proposing using the RFID rice ONLY in specifically designated secure facilities??
-------------
blowing in the dust
Submitted by frednemo on March 21, 2008 - 20:44.
I agree with some comments. How are you going to keep the RFID motes from falling off and attaching to legitimate shoes??? Also, why can't you continually screw up the whole system with a bag of your own? How are you going to prevent numerous false positives (which operators will probably start ignoring)??
And these RFID's would be everywhere --- inside coming out, outside coming in ---What a nightmare.
----------
Of course:
Submitted by Quinn the Eskimo on March 22, 2008 - 23:53.
the criminals will be sure to keep their "RealID's" with them all the while they're doing -- whatever.
Oooooo. Sign me up.
Then even the retailers will be able to read your RealID when you use CASH. Nope. No possible violation of privacy there.
But, on the plus side, no more speeding cameras needed. They can "scan" you as you pass the sign.
And the NAZI's thought were clever at spying on their citizens.

----
RFID Privacy vs Security
Submitted by Spectator on March 23, 2008 - 02:26.
What about this concept? This "RFID Sand" could be sucked up or distributed by air distribution systems and inhaled. I wonder what uses could be imagined for this type of concept? Looks to me like you could be permanently tagged. With the right equipment you could be tracked almost any where and by any one.
reply | report this comment
-----
Covert RFID Tags
Submitted by Anonymous on March 24, 2008 - 08:54.
The problem I have is the same with lots of security "solutions", and that is real-world application. If some investigator sprinkles the dust and the target's shoes pick some of it up, then the target is shedding dust the whole rest of their trip - or months to come. So the target gets on a subway, you step in the same spot and pick up some of the dust. Now YOU'VE been in the drug lord's house, right? And that's just an accidental false-positive. All the gee-whiz technology in the world will not replace common sense and good investigating skills.
This is just an update of ultraviolet powder that financial institutions have been using for years - with poor results. None of this technology can prove intent.
------------------------
Arrow Arrow Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Embarassed Embarassed
ON 13th October 2007 - precisely 700 years after "the black Friday, 13. October 1307" when they cracked down the "Templar Knights"....

they showed on TV (Was it Euronews? I think, yes)....

What problem the industry still have to solve:

"You get an implanted microchip. Your chip has to connect to your cellular phone and your cellular phone is opening your data files, e.g. by your Doctors."

Best greetings "666"

(It just shows how the "Templar Knights" and their helpers are still in charge today Sad Sad Sad ---- Remember they were accused of adoring "Baphomet". I think this is the devil himself.)
[size=18][/size]

http://www.otherbiblecode.com Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bilderberg.org Forum Index -> Global Totalitarian Superstate All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: